Thursday, January 7, 2010

Preciousness














I recently had the opportunity to witness preciousness. It did not come in the form of a cute toddler, or even this snuggled bird. It came in the form of ferocity and disaster. It game with blood and terror, adrenaline and tears. In the deafening roar of helplessness, I tasted the preciousness of life.

Our nervous system, I suppose, wouldn't be able to go grocery shopping and weed the garden if it knew the precarious balance we tiptoe with grace in our lives. Or can we? Is that what it means to "get it?" This life - to understand how precious, how uncontrollable "it" all is and try to match your socks anyway?

I wonder.

The topic - the sanctity and preciousness of life - is not a new one. So I won't belabor the point. Yet, I wonder. How do we breathe in this awareness and still get our driver's license? How do we remember that all life is sacred, and yet hold our boundaries with our bosses or our partners? What does that balance look like? How high does the beam have to be to allow the picture, yet permit the necessary safety of performance?

I know not only why today my life is all astir,
and a feeling of tremulous joy is passing through my heart.
- Rabindranath Tagore
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

mira said...

you're truly brilliant, and beautiful... your words are captivating and a glorious reminder of the magnificent subtleties of existence...
thank you radiant goddess sister!
thinking of you this morning as the snow falls...

Jon said...

Om namah Shivaya.

Sally said...

I too find that I notice preciousness more often after a moment of tears or terror or pain. And then too of course when there is a magnificent liliquoi coconut lassi in my mouth or a cute snuggly dog to be with....

Anyway, I guess I just wanted to say that your post reminds me of the play of shiva and shakti, form and formless, yin and yang, pleasant and unpleasant.... And to say thank you for acknowledging the preciousness that is omnipresent and even perhaps just dependant on that observer observing whatever phenomenon (DMV, bird, quarrel with a loved one) is happening in any given moment

Jai Ma to you dearest holder of the Wisdom of One tradition. Sending you the preciousness and beauty of a cold snowy river town and the yumminess of a pumpkin pie just about to come out of the oven

Wisdom of One said...

Mahalo nui Sally for your sweet, poetic praise. In each moment, there resides so much of existence, so much of being human that it is mind boggling. Right and wrong seem illogical. Labeling futile. But pumpkin pie is perfection. Enjoying a piece as I drink in the morning rays. Love you....